Such a lot to tell you about this month … But first of all – Happy New Year!
And second of all – next week, on THURSDAY 12 JANUARY, we are holding a MIDWINTER SOCIAL EVENING. All club members and friends welcome. It’s a bit like the old end-of-season meeting, but less formal (and in January, not December). We’ll probably pass around the draft sailing programme, and find a volunteer to act as quizmaster at the Annual Quiz (see below), but otherwise it’s just a social evening. Details were emailed to members on 4 January.
And then … Our AGM will be held on Friday 10 February (7.30 pm, in the Railway Institute on Queen Street). A formal notice will be sent out later this month. Please attend if you possibly can. It won’t take long, but there is some important business to get through, including electing the committee and approving the membership subscriptions rates for 2017. And remember, we are still looking for a TREASURER and a COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER. Duties not onerous, but efforts greatly appreciated. Any volunteers?
Thursday 23 February – the Great Annual YRISC Quiz. Marcia Inn, Bishopthorpe. Time to be arranged, but probably 7.30 pm. Meanwhile, does anyone fancy having a go at setting the questions?
Sunday 14 May – our annual Open Day. A bit later than in previous years, and timed to coincide with the RYA’s “Push the Boat Out” initiative (see http://www.rya.org.uk/programmes/push-the-boat-out). In due course we’ll be looking for volunteers to act as friendly faces on the day.
Level 1 course – dates this year are the evenings of Tuesday 16, Friday 19, Tuesday 23 and Friday 26 May, plus an all-day session on Saturday 20 May. Volunteers will be sought, and if you know anyone who might like to learn to sail, encourage them to sign up! Details are (or soon will be) on our website at https://yrisc.org/training/.
Other TRAINING COURSES for club members. Here are some we could organise:
- Powerboat training – probably a Wednesday evening in late April. If you’re on duty as a race officer you really need to know this stuff.
- How to run a race on the river – most likely an evening in early spring, either in the clubhouse or in someone’s house. We need to increase our pool of people who can run a race, and this will give you all the essential information. Nothing scary, nothing too technical, just the practicalities.
- Introduction to racing – a practical session on the river, either on a weekday evening or perhaps on a Sunday afternoon. Lots of starting practice, plus a bit about rules and tactics.
- First aid course – Mike Craggs would be happy to run a specially tailored course for club members. It would be an all-day course on a Saturday, and there would be a small charge to cover things like the handbook.
Might you be interested in any of the above? Apart from the first aid, they would all be free to YRISC members. Please let us know: email@example.com.
And finally …
- Coming soon – a membership survey
- Also coming soon – a new issue of YRISC News. But only if Angela has some material to put in it. Send contributions now: firstname.lastname@example.org.